Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome, Mr. President.

Mr. Obama or I suppose after 12 noon today, Mr. President-

I am excited to have you leading us to change. It will be a difficult time without doubt. The challenges facing us are perhaps unprecedented. The challenges are not necessarily new ones, however, they have morphed. We continue to have infrastructure issues, transportation issues, power grid issues, food issues...

As a civil engineer, I understand how much our infrastructure is in need of major maintenance. I am also aware of transportation issues as I live in Virginia, outside of Washington DC. While we need to fix our roads and re-design certain arteries to work with current issues more appropriately, we need a renewed investment in mass-transit. Speaking purely in the DC area, but applicable to many areas, I believe we need a light rail system, similar to what was installed in San Diego or Portland, which traverses the major arterial routes throughout the region. This would allow more options to get people to work. The routes would be permanent, but the stops could quickly be relocated as ridership dictates. A line circling the beltway is necessary as well. Be it Metro or rapid transit. This would allow workers that may ride from Maryland to Virginia the ability to skip the ride all the way into DC and out. Lines are needed in Virginia up and down route 50, 29, 236, etc. These could connect with Metro stations as well. But enough about transportation needs...As mentioned in Michael Pollan's Open Letter to the "Farmer in Chief", I think we need to take a look at how we receive, grow, and process our foods. I won't go into it hear, but if you are interested read the letter mentioned above. I agree with it, I think. Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html

The economy is in shambles, can we fix it by new investments in clean energy? Partially, I think the answer is yes. Our power grid is woefully inadequate and outdated. Investments in a modern grid, with modern ways of transmitting power is important. So are solar farms and wind farms as well as perhaps energy from algae and other cellulose materials. Lets get moving. This will help our energy independence, carbon emissions, and possibly our power bills (think solar on every building or home...). Finally, we need to think of ways to really fix our Health care system. Costs are spiraling out of control. Not only are people without insurance, but many who don't work for huge companies pay TOO much for the insurance they do receive. Heck, I pay about $6000 a year for my wife and myself, and who knows how much my employer shells out...That is far too much, especially since my co pays continue to rise.

That is all I have for now...with that, I say Thank you and Good Luck. We are ready to work with you.

Oh, and I had a great time at your concert on Sunday. Good to see you there.

Thanks.

No comments: