Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bicycles and accidents...

So...driving to pick up Michelle at the Metro Monday night I hit a girl on her bike. Now, she was not hurt and did not even fall to the ground, but it was very nerve racking. It went down like this, I stopped at an intersection and stop sign to turn right. As I was in the middle of turning right, a girl coming from my right trying to cross the street from right to left was suddenly right in the middle of the car. Luckily I was moving very slowly at this point after having just come from a stop. I don't know why I didn't see her, but I do know this...she was riding her bike on the wrong side of the road from the sidewalk in the opposite direction of traffic. The only thing I can think of was that I did not expect someone to come at me from that direction.

Bikers (Of which I am an occasional one...) - You are supposed to be riding WITH traffic. You are technically a vehicle. With her coming from the direction she did, it was no different than a car driving down the wrong side of the road. Having not seen a pedestrian and looking to the left for other traffic, I never saw her. Should I have? Probably so, but I didn't.

I offered to pay to fix her bike, if anything really is wrong with it. Her brakes wouldn't release, but that isn't a big deal...I will update when I hear something back from her. I will also kindly advise her about general traffic laws. I understand why she was on the sidewalk coming from where she was...she most likely was trying to be a safe as possible by being out of the road, but at the same time, it can result in what happened by not following general paths of traffic. It also would have been different had she been on the sidewalk on the other side of the road going with the flow of traffic...

Be careful out there...you never know when some guy in a blue Honda may want to make a right turn.

No comments: