Monday, December 8, 2008

Hiking anyone?

So...I have a new idea. I think I want to hike the Appalachian Trail. Understand this - I have never actually backpacked. I go camping, but it is technically Car Camping. As in, we drive to a nice park, set up the sweet 3 room tent and venture into the woods for several miles and come back to home base. I may carry my camelbak and have a sandwich or two in the bag, but this is the extent of supplies carried with me.

Why you might ask do I want to do this? Well, it has always been in the back of my mind. And...the last 2 books that I have read that I can't seem to put down have to do with getting out of the world and into nature. I am currently reading a Walk in the Woods, which is no difficult read by any stretch, but I am nearly finished and have only been reading for a week. 300 pages in a week is unheard of from me unless the title is Harry Potter or....Into the Wild. Which was the other book that I flew through and couldn't seem to put it down...

At any rate, the question is...do you start at the Traditional beginning or in Alabama where the new connector trail begins. This is the actual beginning of the Appalachian Mountains. Next...if you make it all the way as a thru-hiker, do you continue on from Maine into Canada to the end of the Appalachian Mountain chain which you also now can do? The next question is, where do I find 5-6 months to do this? And how to afford such a venture? Donations or sponsorships are welcome!

Anybody with me?

No comments: