Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Taxes and not paying them

Does anyone else have a problem with that commercial on TV these days that highlights how some law firm will work to get your owed back taxes reduced? I do. No wonder we don't have the funds to adequately perform routine park maintenance, or build further rapid transit systems, or just maintain the roads that we have. The commercial goes something like this...Do you owe back taxes? I owed over $50,000 and with their help, I paid only $2,000. This goes on and on. It shows a Doctor who owed $3 million in taxes but only paid $1 million. I realize that is no small amount, but come on? They were liable for the full bill, where is the tax payment when the money being made to warrant that bill was coming in? I pay my taxes. Do I wish they were less? Sure, but these people are ridiculous and the law firm that represents them is even worse.

Oh...and what the hell is the deal with Marion Barry? How can you be in serious threat to go to prison for not paying your taxes and then not pay them on time for the 7th time in 8 years? Do you expect me to believe that a DC councilman does his own taxes and since he was sick, couldn't submit them? He has an accountant...throw the both of their asses in jail.

Come on DC (and I really mean you Ward 8? folks), Barry has shown over and over again that he has no business being in office. I understand that in general your part of town is a little down on your luck and that Barry is much like many of you, but come on.

No comments: